Nikon 50mm f/1.8 Review

| No comment yet

I remember when I bought my first DSLR which was the Nikon D5000, I was so eager to push forward and buy my second lens to compliment my kit lens which came with my D5000, the Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. I went to a local Gadget Fair at the KLCC and looked around various lens. I came up to a Nikon booth and asked which lens should I get as a starting out. He recommended the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D. He told me, since I had a kit lens, I would then need a fast, wide-open portrait lens. And this one is a very cheap and suitable option. And was he right!

I love this lens!


This lens produces superb bokeh (out of focus rendition) and has great depth-of-field. It opens up very wide, up to f/1.8, which is great for low lighting situation. It has reasonably fast auto-focus. All these great features, for a price below rm500. Now that's what I call a great deal!



But wait, what's the catch? 

Yes, there is a catch though. This lens, as cheap as it is, ironically will not auto-focus on cheap, entry-level DSLRs. Cheaper, consumer-level DSLRs doesn't have the feature of motor-screw drive. Thus, it will not auto-focus lenses that does not have an internal auto-focus motor.

This is a major drawback. But, If you have, like I have, DSLRs like the Nikon D90, Nikon D300 and above, this shouldn't be a problem. But if you don't, you can always opt for the latest version of this lens, the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G, for a few hundred bucks more. Whichever fits your budget.

Nevertheless, this is definitely a must-have lens, considering its awesome price-tag! 

NameNikon 50mm ƒ/1.8D AF Nikkor
Image Circle35mm
TypeStandard Prime
Focal Length50mm
APS Equivalent75mm
Max Apertureƒ/1.8
Min Apertureƒ/22
Diaphragm Blades7
Lens Construction6 Elements in 5 groups
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle)
46 degrees
Focus Details
Front Element RotationNo
Zoom Systemn/a
Closest Focus0.46m / 1.5 ft.
Magnification Ratio0.15x / 1:6.6
Filter Size52mm
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter)
39mm x 64mm / 1.5 in. x 2.5 in.
Weight156g / 5.5 oz


POSITIVES
  • Great value-for-money. VERY CHEAP!
  • Fast, wide-open aperture
  • Light-weight and small
  • Fast auto-focus
DRAWBACKS
  • Does not auto-focus on cheaper DSLRs
  • Inferior build quality.
  • No lens hood. 


RATING
Optical Quality:   
Mechanical Quality:
Price/Performance:


See sample images taken using this equipment HERE


Post a Comment